Hearing care technology continues to improve year on year, becoming ever more powerful and more discreet for the wearer.
It is incredible to think just how far this technology has advanced over the last decade, and while these advancements have empowered many people who have been struggling with their hearing to try out a device, the fact remains that an estimated 18 million Americans are struggling with an untreated hearing loss.
Could A New Category Of ‘Lifestyle Hearing Devices’ Be The Answer?
This new category of devices promises to be discreet, multi-functional, and deliver the benefits that younger people with active and modern needs have long been seeking.
Unlike the recently launched Bose SoundControl, the Enhance Plus encourages the support of a hearing care professional to check your candidacy first, which is a big step forward given how many people incorrectly self-diagnose themselves.
This means that you will be able to visit your local Certified Jabra Enhance Center, or work with an online professional.
With over-the-counter devices currently being a very hot topic following the recent executive order from President Biden adding pressure for affordable solutions being made available to even more Americans, this product is perhaps perfectly timed.
Jabra claims that the Enhance Plus delivers hearing aid-like performance, that candidacy is still assessed following all state and federal laws, and that it’s built for people with a mild-to-moderate hearing loss.
The question is, how is it different from anything else that is available and what does this mean for you and the people that you care about?
What Makes The Jabra Enhance Plus Different From Other Devices?
The first thing to note is that this new product is not a replacement for traditional hearing aids and it’s not in competition with them – it’s specifically for people that have a mild-to-moderate hearing loss and are looking to improve their hearing ability in many social settings while still enjoying the many benefits of a connected wireless earbud.
Jabra conducted in-depth research and learned that people wanted a simplified hearing aid that is a lower-cost and accessible alternative to hearing instruments, with hearing support being just one of many benefits.
With this understanding, they developed the Jabra Enhance Plus that is a set of miniature earbuds engineered for hearing enhancement, music, and calls.
The key benefits include:
- Digital noise reduction to cut background noise
- Speech-in-noise capabilities to help you to hear conversations in louder environments
- 10 hours battery and up to 30 hours battery rechargeability when using the carry case
- EarGels in three sizes for a secure and comfortable fit
- Rich and clear sound for music and phone calls (just as you would expect from Jabra)
But the biggest difference between the Jabra Enhance Plus and some of the other readily available devices that are aggressively advertising is that Jabra ensures you make the right choice for your hearing by encouraging you to visit an experienced hearing care professional.
The reason that this is an essential part of the process is that they understand that the most important step in addressing any form of hearing challenge is that you first need to have a hearing assessment, in the same way that a complete eye exam would be your preferred option before determining your prescription for eye glasses.
With many other devices that only require self-diagnosing of your hearing loss through an app and programming your own devices, there are many risks, and as professionals, we would advise away from any solution that is selling you a product before understanding your own unique circumstances.
Attempting to self-diagnose is risky business, and there are many scenarios where self-diagnosis has resulted in significant long-term damage being caused.
We test many ears per week and we often meet people that believe that they have a hearing challenge that either don’t or the cause is something other than hearing loss, such as a buildup of earwax or a more complicated medical concern.
Is The Jabra Enhance Plus Right For Me?
Jabra has conducted in-depth research and found that a vast majority of people wanted a more cost effective and accessible alternative to hearing instruments, with hearing support being just one of many benefits.
Jabra has created their new product based on their research findings, with hearing support, music, and phone calls all seamlessly working through a stylish earphone-like earbud.
This means that Jabra hearing devices have been created especially for the 18 million adults that have a self-diagnosed hearing challenge that is currently untreated and that may be fearful or not yet ready to become a hearing aid wearer due to vanity or other concerns.
The Jabra Enhance Plus devices are mainly for people that:
- Recognize they have a hearing loss but are looking for support in certain situations only
- Want an incredibly discreet but visible product in a non-traditional device form
- Want to move away from the look of a traditional hearing aid but do want the comfort of medical technology & backup support
- Want a multi-functional and easy-to-use affordable device
- Would like their new device to look like an earphone
The team at All About Hearing is confident that these devices and others like them will start to normalize the treatment of hearing loss, giving people who have been struggling the confidence to seek the support they need.
The Jabra Enhance Plus could be a great option for you if you can relate to any of the following:
- You would like to be able to easily listen to presenters at meetings and conferences
- Be able to cut through the background noise in airports and crowded venues
- Easily focus on what your friends and family are saying in social scenarios
- Better communicate with servers when discussing menu choices
- You would like to give your barista your coffee order with confidence, safe in the knowledge you will clearly hear your name when it’s called
- You would love to be able to maximize interactions on game day
- Engage in video conferences and Zoom meetings without the worry of missing key information
- Be able to enjoy listening to music while communicating with your beautician, barber, friend, etc. all at the same time
- Be able to fully immerse yourself in the sounds of nature the next time you head out on a hike or a fishing trip
- The examples are endless…
- You would be able to hear the voices of soft spoken individuals much easier
- You wouldn’t be so tired at the end of the day from straining to listen
The Jabra Enhance Plus is not aimed at being a long-term solution; it aims to assist people in certain situations. It is for people with a mild-to-moderate hearing loss who need a helping hand while maintaining a stylish look with an earbud offering additional functionalities.
How Much Will They Cost?
At this time, it’s unknown as there’s been no announced cost. The general expectation is that these will be priced slightly more than premium headphones and slightly less than entry-level hearing aids.
Based on this, we’re predicting around $1000. But at this stage, it’s all speculation.
My Professional Opinion And Advice To You?
If you have been on the fence about doing something about your hearing, now is the time to take action. With technology so readily accessible there is no reason to wonder.
Get your hearing tested so that you can make wise choices when it comes to handling your hearing. Some people find that they have no hearing loss at all, they just need a little boost to make listening and hearing easier for them.
Every hearing loss is different and the way 2 individuals with similar hearing loss function can be totally different. I am excited that products like these will be available. We are always here to answer questions or help with any product.
Are You Interested In Trialing The Jabra Enhance Plus?
With so much change and so many different options available, it’s natural that you may have a question. That’s why our team is here to help and offer you guidance to ensure that you or a loved one makes the right decision.
Give our team a call and let us check your hearing first. By doing this, we can make sure you are a good candidate for a Jabra device. We can then show you how it all works and let you test it out in the real world to see if it works well for you and fits with your lifestyle.
Our team is passionate about early intervention and treatment for hearing loss, and we hope that this will be the solution for our younger patients who have been struggling and need to take their first steps to better hearing healthcare.