I bet you’ve never heard of such a thing, but that’s because it’s top-secret information. We can’t let this get out or everyone will want to be in on this knowledge.
And believe me, it’s powerful stuff!
NIDCD Epidemiology and Statistics Program staff reports that 16% to 30% of US adults with a hearing loss have never used hearing aids. This must be because they are part of this exclusive, global group.
Of all the people in the world who know better, you’re one of them, which is why you know better than anyone why you shouldn’t have your hearing checked or treated – ever.
And when “they” start harping on at you for the millionth time to do something about your “supposed” hearing loss, you can consult this: our very handy list of the intelligent reasons why you won’t.
These reasons will shut them up for good. When you know, you know.
Reasons Why Hearing Aids Are Silly
1. You like asking others to repeat all the time. It keeps them honest.
2. Restaurants are for eating, not carrying on a conversation.
3. Grandchildren don’t have anything important to say. They’re kids, for goodness’ sake.
4. Hearing aids make you look old, but cupping your hand over your ear and saying “Huh?” does not.
5. You like reading closed captions instead of watching the details of the movie.
6. You like putting your phone calls on loudspeaker so everyone can hear your conversation. You have nothing to hide anyway.
7. Thanksgiving is for eating and watching football, not visiting with your family.
8. Your quality of life isn’t worth that much.
9. Everyone else has a problem with your hearing, not you.
10. You don’t want to hear everything around you. It’s a noisy world.
11. Nature sounds – who really needs them?
12. You can enjoy the music you like in your head, just the way you remember it.
13. Hearing loss and dementia correlate – you won’t know you have dementia anyway.
14. You like filling in the blanks on what people say. It keeps things interesting.
15. You like talking really loudly so everyone can hear you. Who needs to whisper anyway?
16. The preacher at church isn’t talking to you anyway. You just like showing up.
17. You want your neighbors to know what you are watching on TV.
18. You’ve been married so long, you already know what your spouse is going to say.
19. Who needs to hear the fire alarm when you can smell the smoke?
20. You like people to think you are ignoring them. You don’t have time to chit chat.
Yes, I’m Joking, But Here’s What I’m Serious About
While hearing loss is no joking matter, most of these are actual reasons I’ve been given for not doing something about hearing loss. I’ve been in the business of hearing for 27 years, and no reason surprises me anymore.
All I can do is educate and let someone demo a pair of hearing aids. Nine times out of ten, if someone can demo a set of hearing aids, they move quickly to do something about their hearing.
The fact of the matter is you don’t know what you don’t know.
Hearing loss usually happens so gradually that one adapts. Slowly, you don’t even realize that you are missing the little things, such as the sound of footsteps or birds chirping. Heck, you don’t even know that there are sounds around you that you are missing.
The minute someone hears what they’ve been missing, the synapses in the brain start to fire and a smile comes across their face and/or tears stream down their cheeks.
Hearing loss can be an emotional journey. Often people are frustrated, and they don’t even know it. Tempers are short, stress can be high, and for what?
There are more options than ever to “fix” your hearing. Let us help you take advantage of them!
If you or a family member has concerns about your hearing, you should have a hearing test. It is quick and non-invasive, and you’ll get the results and hear about your treatment options immediately.
To schedule your hearing test, or if you have any questions at all, email or call us today. We hope you will visit and get a hearing assessment with us – your first step to hearing health and a much richer life.