We already know that wearing a face mask impedes communication by reducing speech volume, hiding non-verbal facial cues, and muffling sounds, making it even harder for people who struggle to hear.
But other drawbacks of wearing face masks are how easy it is to lose your hearing aid! Juggling eyeglasses, hearing aids, and a face mask can make things very frustrating.
Do you know how many times I have had a patient tell me, “Well, I took off the damn mask, and my hearing aid went flying”?
Not only does it become an exercise in trying to locate said ‘flying hearing aid,’ but costly too, when it then needs to be repaired or replaced.
So, we have hunted online for the best techniques to spare you from the same fate as so many…
Removing Your Mask
- If you wear eyeglasses: securing a button to each side of your eyeglasses makes a handy ‘fake ear’ to secure your mask to.
- Use your hair and hair accessories to secure the mask loops.
- Use ear savers. Buttons sewn on headbands, caps, beanies can change the game!
What Happens If You Lose Them?
- Take a deep breath and try not to panic.
- If you were fit with a smart device or use the ReSound Smart 3D app, you could use the “Find My Hearing Aid” feature directly on your smartphone.
- If you don’t have one of these devices, take your time, and be patient. Use a grid search method to search the area one zone at a time.
If your hearing aid/s cannot be located, contact us to see if your hearing aids are covered under a loss and damage policy.